Are you excited about Monster Hunter World’s upcoming Spring Update? I know we are! And while we wait with bated breath for what will be added in this update, there is still some information out on play. The official Japanese website has been updated to include a “Gadgets Guide” which gives some details on how Palico Gadgets work in MHW. This page can already be found in English by going to your MHW game version in the PlayStation or Xbox Marketplace and clicking “View Info.” For those who don’t want to do that here is a quick translation of the important parts:
Items Required for Palico Upgrade
The following items can be equipped to your Palico:
There are six types of tools, and each one has its own effect. You can only equip one tool at a time.
The following is a list of the effects of the six types of tools:
- Axe – Increases the damage dealt by your Palico when it attacks.
- Hammer – Increases the amount of health your Palico recovers when it attacks.
- Hunting Horn – Increases the amount of damage your Palico deals to monsters.
- Pickaxe – Increases the amount of resources your Palico recovers when it attacks.
- Scythe – Reduces the stamina consumed by your Palico when it attacks.
There are four types of armguards, and each one has its own effect. You can only equip one type of armguard at a time.
The following is a list of the effects of the four types of armguards:
- Bullseye – Increases the critical hit rate of your Palico.
- Carapace – Reduces the damage taken by your Palico.
- Dragonhide – Reduces the fire damage taken by your Palico.
- Hermitaur Shell – Reduces the water damage taken by your Palico.
3. The Felyne Operant
Equipping the Felyne Operant allows you to use your Palico’s gadget skills while it is in standby mode.
There are three levels of the Felyne Operant, and each level increases the power of your Palico’s gadget skills.
You can only equip one level of the Felyne Operant at a time.
Upgrade Palico Gadgets
In order to upgrade your Palico gadgets in MHW you will need to first complete the following steps:
- Collect materials from monsters that correspond to the type of gadget you want to upgrade.
- Talk to the blacksmith in Astera and use the “Gadget Upgrade” option to upgrade your gadget with the collected materials.
- Equip your upgraded gadget on your Palico.
Alternative Ways to Upgrade Palico Gadgets:
Collect Clawmarks from monsters and turn them in to the Blacksmith. They will give you materials used to upgrade Palico gadgets. Some of these items can only be obtained by completing certain assignments or quests.
Get your Palico to level 11 and it will unlock the Quick Sheath skill that allows it to sheath its weapon immediately after an attack. To upgrade this skill you must complete the “Palico Play Day” assignment where you need collect Paw Pass tickets which are earned by playing with your Palico for 30 minutes each day. These Paw Passes allow your Palico to speed up Gathering, Bug Catching, etc., activities as well as joineditions faster. It takes a total of 1400 Paw Pass tickets to max the Quick Sheath skill.
In order to get your Palico to level 11 you will need to complete the “Meat Feasting” assignment from the “Food Sommelier” in Astera who can be found near the Smithy. To complete this objective you must hunt a total of 20 Gastodon, Barnos and Uragaan while having a combined Hunter Rank between both your character and Palico of at least 11. You can find some tips here for completing this assignment .
In addition to the above, there are additional quests that award materials for upgrading gadgets so if you want to upgrade everything available on your Palico it’s best just start working towards these now so you’re not behind later on.
There are many different ways to upgrade your Palico gadgets in MHW, and the best way to do so depends on what you need. There are materials that can only be obtained by completing certain assignments or quests, so it’s best to start working on those now if you want to upgrade everything available on your Palico.